Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sale of a lifetime.

Frances woke us up and told us to get ready for the sale.

Danielle spotted me as we walked down the tracks

Danielle getting Jon and I a map as she has been enough to have the warehouse memorized.
Jon and I waiting in line.

Speed walking in to start to look for treasures!
Such a huge venue and SO MANY PEOPLE
hiding out with some planters. A woman randomly told Jon she could make the one on the right herself for less. Jon said "really you can make that for less than 25 cents?"
Jon is ready to go.

Saturday morning we woke up early and jammed out of Danielle's place. We picked up coffee and muffins (for energy!) and headed over the bridge to Oakland. We totally scored on parking but had to trek through rocks and uneven dirt on an abandoned railroad track to the sale. I was in my Burberry Kiss boots and had to grab on to Danielle for dear life a couple of times (I probably looked like her grandma who had no sense of balance). We go to the front of the warehouse (also the front of the line). I got a lot of shit from the over 70 crowd for my shoes and how I am I able to wear them without breaking my ankle (they must have seen me coming so I can't hate). We start to follow the line to find the end about a mile or so later we find the end (and are back at the car!) but believe me there were still crowds and crowds of people lining up behind us and it wasn't even 9:30 yet! I assumed they let in 100 people at a time or something, however come 10 o'clock the doors open and they start to let everyone in. Once inside the insanely huge warehouse it shockingly enough is not that crowded (because of how large the warehouse is it seems like only a few people are there). Danielle and I head straight for the Bric a Brac section, Jon to the camera section. The first thing I see perched on the very top of the shelves looking at me is a Fisher Price Globe Lamp! I wanted to die! I have always wanted one of these! My Mor Mor (grandma) had one (a nice one that is black and i mean Fisher Price is pretty jazzy and all but hers is a little nicer...) but it's in Sweden so first of all the plug is different, secondly lugging it all the way back (I would be too scared to ship it) would be a pain, plus it is always fun to have it lit up when we visit her old house. Anyway... I grab the lamp and it was $10 and works (I still wanted to plug it in and double check) so I keep digging. Found a couple of more treasures and we decide to move on (first I found a plug and plugged in my lamp and hooray it is the most beautiful sight I have seen in a while). I had to check the purchases I had made so far as they were way too heavy to carry around , so Danielle told me to meet her in art work. On the way I run into Jon he teases me about our new lamp and we go meet Danielle who already found us a bunch of paintings (she is a great treasure hunter!) we settled on two ballerina paintings. At this point I am slowly losing steam but must-keep-going! Next we make our way across the venue to the gardening and kitchen section. I picked up a few pieces that I thought were overpriced and started telling Jon how much I would pay for certain items one time in front of the "antiques" man deep in conversation that heard me, stopped his conversation and gave me the dirtiest look (I didn't mean to insult him! I was merely telling Jon how much I would pay for a swan planter which $2 was my price as antique dudes price of $8 was highway robbery!!!!). Danielle wanted to move on to records, the line for books was way too long for Jon and I so we went over to shoes and clothes. Again in my book a was a little overpriced not to mention the fact that anything I really thought was cute was already in someone else's arms and at this point I am too tired and too hungry to really want to hunt. We reconnect with Danielle do one more round of the clothes and then head to the bag check to pick up our treasures. I felt bad as we were really only there for a little more than 2 and a half hours I hope that was Ok for Danielle. Jon and I really had SO MUCH FUN! I mean I found things I never thought I would come up on in my wildest dreams! Jon and I are already planning to attend next year. Danielle I hope you don't mind if we tag along again... I promise to eat a little more and really rest up so I will be fully charged for a long day of treasure hunting!

2 comments:

  1. it's a date! i would love to shop til we drop next year (permitted we chow up before we go). i didn't tell you, but the next day i went with jim and gaby. again i went home with a full arm-load! i'm so glad you guys came and i had an absolute blast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. francis is such a ham. what a face!

    ReplyDelete