Thursday, October 29, 2009

An evening with Steve.

Jon and I in our awesome seats!
photo of the concert hall from our seats
photo of the hall from our seats
Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers exiting the stage
Steve Martin, the Steep Canyon Rangers, and Abigail Washburn performing
A Rose for Lilly
Jon with Lilly's Rose. Cheers!
Me with Lilly's Rose and a plastic cup of wine.

Last night Jon and I went to the Walt Disney Concert Hall for an evening of Bluegrass and Banjo. I am way into the Banjo and have always secretly (and not so secretly) wanted to learn how to play this instrument. Steve Martin (I am SO into Steve Martin the Jerk, the Three Amigos, HouseSitter -shout out to my mom-, L.A. Story-another shout out to my mom- are a few of my all time favorite movies! I take it back pretty much anything he has been in!) Anyways Steve Martin was performing with the Steep Canyon Rangers. Abigail Washburn opened the show. Words can not express just how incredible this woman is... so I will dedicate an entire post to her and her amazing music when I have time! We sat behind the orchestra. I have always wanted to sit here so I could watch the conductors face and watch over the orchestra while they were performing. I will not be sitting in these seats for a show like tonights again- we watched the backs of their heads, bodies, and instruments for more than 99% of the show which was not too cool.
During the intermission we each got a plastic glass of wine and walked around the Blue Ribbon Garden. It was designed as a tribute to Lilly Disney. It features a hand-sculpted fountain in the shape of a rose as the garden's centerpiece. The fountain, named “A Rose for Lilly,” was designed by Frank Gehry (who desgined the concert hall) and is covered in a mosaic of approximately 8,000 broken pieces of the blue and white Delft china that Mrs. Disney loved and collected.
Afterwards we went back in and the music started back up. All I can say is that Steve Martin is a hell of a Banjo player! He blew me away with his Banjo skills and the Steep Canyon Rangers were fantastic! Steve told some jokes in between songs that were hilarious! They played about a two hour set maybe longer! I loved it! I think I will be taking up Banjo lessons pretty soon after watching both Steve and Abigail rock the banjo so hard!
All in all another great night with the best date ever.

1 comment:

  1. Anika, I hope you learn to play the banjo. That would be super awesome!

    ReplyDelete